Sechelles Seychelles 2015 Presidential election

Re: Sechelles Seychelles 2015 Presidential election

Postby Grandlarousse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:27 am

Letter to the Editor - ‘Seychellois are fed up with politics based on violence, insults and hatred’

11-February-2015
Please allow me a space in your edition of Seychelles Nation to share my thoughts about the very inspiring letter from Sir James Mancham, published in the February 10, 2015 issue of the newspaper.

For those who have closely followed the political episodes in Seychelles, you would agree that we have seen transformation in many areas with the way we carry out politics. Surely we have more room to improve, but taking stock on the progress we have achieved we can come to one conclusion -- Seychelles and the people of Seychelles while they seek for the betterment of their lives, they are also fed up with politics based on violence, insults and hatred, no matter which side of the political field one is from.

The letter of Sir James I feel does justice to an illustration that we are indeed making progress in moving from a political battlefield to a place where we can openly agree to disagree, all with the notion of ‘Seychelles First’. The government under the leadership of President James Michel has also gone far to show its willingness to bring about sustained unity, again through the many transformations around our political arena.

Unfortunately it is also a fact that we also have die-hards who are reluctant to let go of all the bitterness and hatred and are still preaching vengeance.

Any well educated member of society, no matter what your political belief, will tell you that this approach will bring one to no success. As rightly mentioned by Mr Mancham, let us take a look at our own government today which consists of past opposition supporters. Are we there to disqualify their willingness to put Seychelles first? They are proof that we can indeed unite and work together, though on some aspects we still differ. The important thing is progress and progress will only come with unity.

This is the sort of approach I also speak highly of to the members of the Seychelles Young Leaders Association. As the chairman of this body, it is also important for us to remain sensitive to the fact that we need to sustain this peace and unity which we have bragged about for so many years, but nevertheless remain fragile. Also in my capacity as the chairman of the Regional Advisory Board African Young Leaders Southern Africa, I can attest to the fact that we are very much looked upon as an exemplary state when it comes to political stability. Soon we will be coming face to face with another election, an exercise which I not only see as a test to the political will power of the contesting parties but also the true test I feel is that of the people itself and of the country, in seeing how mature we have or have not become.

Maturity is not about having the loudest of voices nor the mightiest of fists; maturity is truly about having gestures which surpass our egos, and this is something which needs to be understood by all political leaders. Opposing is not good enough if it does not come hand in hand with the wisdom of statesmanship.

I still remember one powerful photograph during the birthday of former President Rene, whereby he sat down alongside President Michel and former President Mancham. Powerful indeed in the sense it sent out a message for National Unity. I look for the day when those three “Statesmen” will be joined by other political leaders for a similar photograph. On that day, we will all be relieved that all our leaders are placing “Seychelles First”.

Christopher A. Lespoir
Chairman
Seychelles Young Leaders Association

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=244473
Grandlarousse

Re: Sechelles Seychelles 2015 Presidential election

Postby Grandlarousse » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Letter to the Editor

12-February-2015
Call for open tête-à-tête discussion on SBC TV

Your issue of yesterday morning (Wednesday February 11, 2015) carried within it two pertinent replies to the letter you published from me on February 10 in connection with the interview Mr Wavel Ramkalawan recently gave to the newspaper, TODAY in Seychelles.

The first letter is from Mr Christopher Lespoir, chairman of the Seychelles Young Leaders Association (SYLA), who found my letter very inspiring and went on to stress that Seychellois are fed up with politics based on violence, insult and hatred. Thank you Mr Lespoir for your “Seychelles First” reaction.

The second letter is of course from none other than Mr Wavel Ramkalawan himself. By so speedily responding to my letter, I, of course, convince myself that Mr Ramkalawan has never thought that I was “passé” within the context of Seychelles politics. At any rate, in his letter, Mr Ramkalawan queries certain discrepancies or factual points in my letter which you published, and finally converges on the notion, “we all want peace for our motherland”.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=244483

In the spirit of that “peace for the motherland” – I do not wish to enter into a newspaper polemic with Mr Ramkalawan. Instead, I would prefer to invite him to join me in an open tête-à-tête discussion on SBC TV within the spirit of “bringing peace to motherland” and thereby saying farewell to the politics of “saboule” which he has been preaching in Seychelles.

James R. Mancham
Grandlarousse

Previous

Return to Indian Ocean problematic issues