Sechelles Seychelles 2015 Presidential election

Sechelles Seychelles 2015 Presidential election

Postby Grandlarousse » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:34 pm

My Pledge To Remain Connected With My People -- J A Michel

May 25, 2011 -- President James Michel has officially started his second elected mandate as the President of the Republic of Seychelles, after he was sworn in yesterday evening.

"You have judged me by my actions. In this New Seychelles, I renew my pledge to remain connected with my people," said President Michel in his inaugural address.
President Michel and Vice-President Danny Faure took their Oath of Office and Oath of Allegiance at the ceremony of inauguration held at State House.

The ceremony was attended by a large number of Seychellois dignitaries as well as members of the Diplomatic Corps in Seychelles and diplomatic missions abroad accredited to Seychelles, as well of the International Observer Missions of the African Union, the Southern African Development Community, the Commonwealth, l'Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie, et la Commission de l'Océan Indien, Electoral Institute of Southern Africa - EISA

"Democracy is a dynamic process. In the New Seychelles we shall continue to put in place and strengthen our legal and institutional frameworks to ensure the progress of our democracy. It is my aim to improve on our achievements and to reinforce the rule of law, good governance and transparency. Seychelles is determined to provide a shining example of the development that is possible when good governance is prioritized," said the President .

The President said that the victory for a New Seychelles is not a personal victory, but a victory for all Seychellois but a "victory for the future, a future which we are creating together."
The President pledged to continue to serve all Seychellois without discrimination. Â

http://www.statehouse.gov.sc/news.php?news_id=1675

http://www.africaintelligence.com/ION/p ... 033736-EVE

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-14094191

SEYCHELLES
COUNTRY STRATEGY PAPER
2011-2015

http://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/a ... 1-2015.pdf

Comment - There is supposed Presidential election in 2015/16 across Africa those Heads of State who have attempted to pass new legislation to extend the legality of their Term of Office and the Seychelles situation.

The local media be it Today Seychelles, SNP media have been fairly coy about this forthcoming election.

There have been call to allow the Seychellois in Exile and Diasporas to vote and the call to set up a Senate Parliament system

From the SIROP prospective the impact and role of President J A Michel in controlling that program and the involvement of the EU, UN and African Union institutions. That program was started in 1987/88 worth then $500 -$800 million as it stands half completed. by today's gross worth $1.5 - 2 billion. The call for a review of this program by the EU, UN African Union or the Seychelles itself.

Further more - Seychelles government of President through the process of establishment so call tourist Ambassadors - appointed individuals to promote Tourist for Seychelles in stead those who take this as having been give the power to control the lives and workings of the diaspora and Grass roots workings of the Seychelles community in Europe.

As and when the next presidential election come the important impact of these issues and future of Seychelles in exile and our Diaspora communities.

http://sirop.webs.com/
Grandlarousse

Re: Sechelles Seychelles 2015 Presidential election

Postby Grandlarousse » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:07 pm

A presidential election has been announce for June 2015 nobody commenting or wishing to give the names of the candidates

http://sirop.webs.com/apps/photos/album ... d=15799413
Grandlarousse

Postby Grandlarousse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:05 am

SNP is Going Into Elections Before Any Electoral Reforms are Past

Pensioned Priest Speaks Up
Did everyone hear and watch Wavel Ramkalawan on SBC this week, prime time, normally afforded only to State House directives?

Run In Elections In spite of No Reform
After declaring in 2011 after the Presidential elections, that SNP will no longer participate in elections until electoral reforms promised in 1992 are in place, Mr. Ramkalawan made an astounding unprecedented declaration that SNP is now going into elections as a party, in spite any electoral reforms being passed by the PL ex SPPF government.

Why The Opposition Boycott
The issue of boycott centered around the critical issue of the essence of Democracy in as much as best democratic practice promised in 1992, as exposed by and advanced by SFP were not being implemented after 20 years of making the commitment by the SPPF cum PL.
SNP jumped on this bandwagon and boycotted National Assembly elections after Ramkalawan made a very poor showing in the Presidential elections and garnered only 32% of the vote. He was not even close to winning in the last Presidential election, and opted to Boycott upcoming elections, and pension out at a nice SCR. 45,000.00 per month for himself. Later, this political pay off (negotiated at State House with Michel and SNP) was kicked up to Scr. 60,000.00 per month or so in 2014 ( after PL amended the Emoluments Act.
Not bad for a covert Priest cum politician.
Such financial success in the mist of opposition, could teach our popular Chairman at Seychelles Chamber of Commerce, Marco Francis, some lessons on how to make money in a deep recession. He may consider, writing a book, and sell it on Amazon.com, and cash in nicely, probably title: “How To Get Rich Losing Elections, Over and Over, and Over Again”.
SNP Position in 2011
“SNP will not participate in any more elections until the electoral reforms are place”.
SNP Position in 2015
“SNP will participate in elections”.

Where are the Reforms?
1. The Right of Overseas Seychellois to cast a vote in an election as per United Nations Declaration of Human Rights and Conventions signed by SPPF, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?

2. The dismantling of the District Administration apparatus (Delinking), as per the recommendations of the Commonwealth for 20 years, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?

3. Allowing foreigners like Khalifa funding PL, and other parties, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?

4. The list promised of foreigners sold Seychelles passports, acknowledged by PL to have exceed 4,000 people, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?
5. The delinking of the Seychelles People’s Armed Forces from the PL Party, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?
6. Use of government vehicles and fuel coupons in elections, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?

7. Redesigning of Districts and creation of new Districts with PL supporters disproportionately living in the Districts to guarantee a PL victory(the very illegal practice of Gerrymandering), where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?

8. Delinking of the Office of The Commissioner of Police and Seychelles Police Force from the ruling Party, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe, bannla?

9. The constitutional promise of SBC being Independent, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe?
1 The Seychelles Human Rights Country Report, due every year since 1992, never filed once, where is it SNP? What happen? Les Tombe, bannla?

I can write Ten (10) more points, but I have a life. SNP should get a life, shut down, and move on. The priest was nothing but an empty cassock, the rosary he carried was made in China, blessed by Buddhists perhaps.

Most likely they got paid again.

Time to build another three (3) story house overlooking poor, pathetic Victoria.
We need an Audit.

Sesel Pou Seselwa!

May God Bless All Freedom Loving Seychellois!

Source -http://www.freeseychellesnow.blogspot.co.uk/
Grandlarousse

Postby Grandlarousse » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Seychelles President Michel confirms candidacy for next elections, announces Danny Faure as running-mate -

(Seychelles News Agency) - With only a year before Seychelles holds presidential elections, the leader of the ruling Parti Lepep (People’s Party), President James Michel, has announced that he intends to run in the 2016 elections.
In an email interview with SNA, Michel confirmed the headline of an article published last week in The People newspaper, the mouthpiece of the ruling party, and further elaborated on statements he made in an interview he gave to Mauritian newspaper Le Mauricien.
President Michel, aged 70, is preparing for what he says will be his third and final term of five years at the helm of the government of the 115-island archipelago off the eastern coast of Africa

http://www.seychellesnewsagency.com/art ... 5ohg4.dpuf

Michel Says Make Things Happen!
http://www.freeseychellesnow.blogspot.co.uk/
Grandlarousse

Postby Grandlarousse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Le Président James Michel confirme sa participation aux prochaines élections

05-February-2015
Le Président James Michel, dirigeant du Parti Lepep, a confirmé qu’il sera candidat à sa succession en 2016.

À 70 ans, le Président Michel se prépare donc à son troisième et dernier mandat de 5 ans comme le stipule la constitution seychelloise.

Normalement aux Seychelles, l’annonce d’une candidature se fait après avoir reçu le soutien du parti, ce qui n’est pas le cas cette fois-ci.

« C’est mon choix de me présenter et de le dire ouvertement aux journalistes qui me posent cette question, mais bien sûr je présenterai ma candidature au Congrès, et le Congrès va décider si je suis leur candidat », a précisé le président lors d’une interview avec la Seychelles News Agency.

M. Michel a également tenu à retirer toute ambiguïté sur la personne qui sera son colistier pour le poste de Vice-Président.

Le chef de l'État redonne sa confiance à l’actuel Vice-Président Danny Faure pour être Vice-Président dans son nouveau gouvernement.

M. Michel a précisé qu’il est pour l’instant le seul candidat du Parti Lepep et que s’il devait y avoir un autre candidat, cette personne devrait au préalable recevoir le soutien du comité de son district, qui ensuite la présentera lors du Congrès du parti.

Pour son dernier combat, M. Michel prévoit de remporter le scrutin avec confiance.

« Je sens que le peuple apprécie le travail que j’ai fait pendant les dix dernières années de ma présidence. J’ai beaucoup travaillé, j’ai tout fait pour les Seychelles, le peuple seychellois et j’ai l’impression que le peuple apprécie mon travail. Fondé sur cette appréciation, je suis confiant de remporter les prochaines élections, mais en même temps, j’ai aussi constaté que nous avons une opposition fragmentée aux Seychelles, une opposition faible. »

Actuellement, le principal parti de l’opposition seychelloise, le Seychelles National Party (SNP) commence à repartir à la reconquête de ses supporteurs, après près de quatre ans d’inactivité, toujours dirigé par le révérend anglican Wavel Ramkalawan.

Le SNP qui avait boycotté les élections législatives de 2011 a annoncé ce janvier sa participation aux prochaines élections prévues en 2016.
M. Michel a été Vice-Président d’août 1996 à̀ avril 2004.

Il succéda en avril 2004 au Président France Albert René quand ce dernier a décidé de prendre sa retraite.

Lors de l'élection de juillet 2006, M. Michel a été élu avec 53,7% des voix au premier tour, M. Ramkalawan a eu 44.71% des voix.

Au présidentielles de mai 2011, M. Michel a été élu avec 55.46 % des voix au premier tour, M. Ramkalawan a eu 41.43% des voix.

M. Ramkalawan a aussi participé aux élections présidentielles en 1998 et en 2001, contre l'ancien Président France Albert René, qui était vainqueur.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=244422
Grandlarousse

Postby Grandlarousse » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:40 pm

James Michel Wants To Run A Fourth Term?

Mauritius Paper So Declares
In an unprecedented declaration, James Michel told an indifferent Mauritian paper that he will win the next elections because the Opposition in Seychelles is non-existent.
If the Opposition is NON-EXISTENT I wonder Why!

http://freeseychellesnow.blogspot.co.uk ... -term.html

Comment - Since this announcement at the benign of the week we have been questioning this wisdom and were are those Opposition in Sechelles Seychelles they were very quiet.
Grandlarousse

Postby Grandlarousse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:58 am

Letter to the Editor: ‘Seychelles needs more statesmen’

10-February-2015
In an interview with Mr Wavel Ramkalawan, leader of SNP, which the TODAY newspaper published (yesterday) morning, Mr Ramkalawan is quoted as stating “Mr Mancham is not a very important factor in Seychelles politics today...” Of course, Mr Ramkalawan could be convinced that he is right but is he really and truly convinced?

Let us analyse things against the background of an historical perspective.

When I returned to Seychelles in April 1992 and revived the Democratic Party (DP), which Mr René had made “illegal” during the 15 years of One Party rule, Mr Ramkalawan never joined the DP to fight the Presidential Elections which had become due and overlooked the fact that he was thereby dividing the Opposition in the struggle against an entrenched SPPF Party. In fact, he called his first grouping ‘United Opposition’ when he was doing nothing else but dividing the Opposition. There was no ideological differences between the DP under my leadership and Mr Ramkalawan's United Opposition – except that I had adopted a policy of “national reconciliation” whereas he stood for a policy of saboule (confrontation) and revenge.

Following the first Presidential Election, when I became Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly, I went out of my way to try and unite the Opposition forces, by initiating the “Seychelles First” Movement. Mr Ramkalawan was one among those leaders of political factions who turned up for the meeting which took place on Eden Island. But when a second meeting was called, he never turned up because he had the feeling that the “Seychelles First” Movement would fall under my influence and leadership.

Notwithstanding the negative attitude of Mr Ramkalawan towards me when it was obvious that Mr René was practising a policy of “plus ça vas, plus c'est la même chose” within the Constitution of the Third Republic, I decided that in order to have a ‘United Opposition’ to fight the ruling Party, I would extend my support to Mr Ramkalawan as a Presidential candidate.

We nearly won that election but although I had been very active in the pro-Ramkalawan campaign, after the election Mr Ramkalawan failed to acknowledge my participation and never invited me to attend any meeting of his Executive Committee. The reason was clear. Mr Ramkalawan believed my “rapprochement” with his Party was a threat to his leadership of the Party, feeling that I could run away with several of his members and advisers.

Campaigning alongside Mr Ramkalawan allowed me the opportunity to know what sort of a political animal he was and to be able to understand as to why several of the “bright stars” within his once constellation, have moved away from him – the brilliant Joel Morgan, who is now the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Transport in President Michel's government; the pro-active Alain St Ange, who is now Minister for Tourism & Culture; the energetic and charismatic Jean-François Ferrari who does not want to have anything more with party politics as he endeavours to become a successful business leader in the community; Maître Bernard Georges, a brilliant and leading lawyer in Seychelles, now serving as a member of the National Consultative Forum advising President Michel; and of course David Pierre, today's loyal Opposition Leader in the National Assembly, were all at one time strong supporters of Mr Ramkalawan.

Mr Ramkalawan has of course betrayed most of those who supported him when he decided to boycott the National Assembly and deprived the Opposition of a voice in national debate on important national issues. Thus many people have been arguing that if Mr Ramkalawan is so much opposed to the system in place, why does he accept the various monetary benefits he is enjoying under that system? Why does he not adopt the example of Saint Francis of Assisi – sell his recently-built mansion, sell his car and exchange his Italian-made shoes for a pair of flip-flops?

By getting close to Mr Ramkalawan during his election campaign, I had the opportunity to get to know him better and to realise that he had the potential of becoming a dictator, three times more ruthless than those we have known. It is for this reason that after analysing our current political scene, that I declared that “President Michel is the right man, in the right place, at the right time.” Of course, if Mr Ramkalawan believes that I am no more relevant in Seychelles politics, then he should not take my endorsement of President Michel too seriously.

Finally, I believe it is opportune for me to avail of this opportunity to once again emphasise that I have now for several years moved away from partisan politics to play the role of a statesman both locally and internationally.

The preoccupation of the politician, which Mr Ramkalawan is, is the next election. The preoccupation of the statesman, which I am, is the next generation.

The politician thinks only about getting power or staying in power and otherwise enjoying the benefits and privileges which power confers.

The statesman on the other hand, has a longer term vision. He puts national interest above partisan consideration. He does not believe in the policy of power at all costs. His ultimate desire is the transformation of a society and the emergence in our context of a greater Seychelles and of a Seychellois people who is at peace with itself.

James R. Mancham

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=244465
Grandlarousse

Today in Seychelles with Wavel Ramkalawan

Postby Grandlarousse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Today in Seychelles with Wavel Ramkalawan
5 hrs ·
The Big interview with Wavel Ramakalawan, leader of the Seychelles National Party
“If you’re so confident, complete your term”

President James Michel’s recent assertions in a Mauritian newspaper that he’s confident of winning the next elections, did not go down well with the leader of the Seychelles National Party (SNP), Wavel Ramkalawan. In this interview, he explains why James Michel’s statement could backfire.
By DB

Mr Michel has said that he is confident he will win the next elections because the opposition is fragmented and inexistent. Even his worst enemies will have to agree that the opposition hasn’t been outstanding recently…

It all depends what you mean by outstanding. We boycotted the elections in 2011 and the system here allows only for the opposition as represented in the National Assembly to be given any prominence. So, yes, we have not appeared on the SBC and yes, a lot of declarations that we’ve made have not been covered but this doesn’t mean that the SNP is fragmented. We’ve been holding our party conventions annually, we’ve had elections for the executive committee and the office bearers during those three years we’ve been outside of the National Assembly. We’ve sat down for two years on the electoral reform forum to bring forward propositions to amend the law but also to look at the Public Order Act (POA).

We now have a case before the Constitutional Court challenging the POA. And don’t forget that last year, we also appointed 25 district representatives. The SNP is very well organised and last week we started a series of meetings in the districts and we have people going door to door. So it’s all well and good to say that the SNP is fragmented when you don’t know what is happening and when people don’t take the time to find out what is happening. It’s not because one former member of the party is appointed Minister that the party is fragmented. It’s not because one member of the executive committee agrees, in the spirit of national reconciliation, to make a speech at the launch of a book by the President that the party is fragmented.

But do you agree that the perception exists?
Yes, there may be a perception but we’ve got to be very careful. We cannot base ourselves on social media to find out what is happening in the districts. The four or five people using social media to express themselves to say all manner of things do not represent what is happening in the party.

You said on social media that, with his statement about the opposition, Mr Michel was making a mockery of leader of the opposition, David Pierre. But at the SNP, you’ve always maintained that Mr Pierre was not really the opposition anyway.

Which is which?

Yes, we do not consider the PDM as an opposition party because we know how it came about and what Mr Pierre represents. But it is Mr Michel who gives David Pierre prominence. It is Mr Michel who has declared on a number of occasions that now he has a serious opposition, an opposition that makes contributions and what not. The prominence is seen through the monthly meetings between the two and Mr Pierre is given ample airtime to express whatever he wishes after the meetings. So having declared Mr Pierre a big shot, Mr Michel tells the Mauritian press that the opposition is nonexistent. So, this is why I say that he is not insulting the SNP because we are supposed to be non-existent! We’re not in the National Assembly but David Pierre is.

In retrospect, would you say it was a tactical mistake to boycott the 2011 elections?
No. I would do it all over again if I had to. It was important for us to go through the electoral reform. Whatever the outcome – and we’re not happy with everything that has come out of it – it was the right thing to do. What went wrong was not the boycott but the way the Court of Appeal rewrote the Constitution.
Even if they hadn’t done what you say they did, there would still have been a Parliament and you would still not be sitting in it!
Yes, but there would not have been an opposition and this in itself would have been a form of pressure to force government to go through with electoral reform and to hold fresh elections.
But would it not have been possible to do both? Take part in the elections and go for the reform?
No. What you must understand is the way this government functions. When you talk of corruption and everything else, this government will give you a Public Officers Ethics Code and will set up a commission that is toothless. If you complain about the media, they set up a Media Commission…

Thus hitting the right notes in terms of international opinion?
Yes. If you talk about human rights, they’ll have a Human Rights Commission. Let’s not forget what Mr Michel did when we spoke of electoral reform. Straightaway, he amended the Constitution to move from an electoral commissioner to an Electoral Commission. For him, this would have been enough – that’s the reform! And he would have said, “we’ve changed the law and now it’s up to the commission”, like he does on other matters. So it was important for us to boycott and, at the same time, I think during those three years, it has helped us to reflect on a lot of issues and it has also helped the people of Seychelles to understand a little bit more about what democracy is all about. Today, wherever you go, people say “ah, but the National Assembly is a waste of time” because there is no opposition. And they can compare it with when we were in the National Assembly. They know the difference now.

But it can also work two ways – it can be a case of “loin des yeux, loin du coeur”. Would you say that the absence of the SNP from the National Assembly has been detrimental, to the party?
I will say yes. There has been some negative effect in some areas but I’m not scared of that because when I go around door to door, when I speak to people, I find that because of the general state of affairs in the country, be it in terms of social aspects or economic aspects, the people are worse off today.

And you think people will have the courage to say “enough!”? I’m told that people in Seychelles kind of like their comfort zone?
(Smiles…) The people in Seychelles can be unpredictable and this is why at this point in time, it would be a mistake for any politician to make absolute declarations like the ones Mr Michel made.
At the same time, it’s intelligent politics to make a show of confidence!
Of course, a politician is a boxer and has to knock down his opponents in the first seconds of the first round. But it can still backfire especially when one reflects on what he says. James Michel says he will win the elections because of an inexistent opposition, I think this is wrong. He should have said “I will win the elections because I have done so well!” If I’m the only one in the race, of course, I’ll win! So the statement is ignorant and I believe it is a sign of weakness, a sign of somebody who is scared. And it is a sign of somebody who is unsure of himself because he’s not sure if he’s going to win the elections because people approve of him.

What do you make of Mr Michel’s statement to the effect that can call the elections at any time? Do you think the elections will be called this year?
Again, if you’re so sure of yourself, you’ve been elected for a mandate of five years, so if you’re doing so well, complete your term! Why do you have to call early elections? But yes, we are hearing that presidential elections will be this year.

And what do you think?
(Hesitates…) I don’t know, but in a sense, feeling the insecurity and seeing the deterioration in the way things are going, I think he will call the elections this year. He will try to win now so that he can get five years instead of seeing the decay continue and eventually losing the elections.

This “decay” and insecurity that you’re talking about, what do you attribute them to?
Last year’s budget was the worst budget that the people of Seychelles have had. The cost of living is on the rise and the Minister of Finance said that things were going to improve but you go in every shop and you find that the price of bread has increased by SCR2, the price of basic commodities has gone up and salaries have remained where they were. Transport costs have gone up and this why we held the march – not to defend the rich people – but to say that when the price of transport goes up, everything goes up. People find themselves struggling just to make ends meet. The social decay – just look at what happened at the beginning of the year – a 12 year-old stabbed a10 year-old, a sister attacked another sister, a father killed son – generally speaking, there is a moral decay which is growing. Yes, the reports of the NDEA show they have been successful at tracking down drugs but we all know when you make one arrest, there are ten who have gone under the radar. Mr Michel who has got his people - the MNAs, Ministers, Das, etc. – on the ground, knows that when they talk to their own people, they see people are not responding. This reshuffle was also meant to give people the impression that the team is ok.

We haven’t heard the SNP on the reshuffle more than a week after the fact. How do you read what President Michel has tried to do?
He’s trying to present a complete team and this time, he is trying to be more politically correct and show that he has a team that is representative of the population. This is the first thing he has tried to do. Secondly, he’s trying to give the impression that he’s somebody who’s got young people around him. To give the impression that he has the youth with him. The thing that he has failed to do is to bring people who can bring about confidence. I mean, you throw out Pierre Laporte?
Well, Jean Paul Adam is said to be competent!
But he’s not a technician and finance is something you need to understand. Pierre Laporte has worked for the IMF, he understood finance, and he knew the ropes and everything about the portfolio.

So you’re saying James Michel should have kept Pierre Laporte?
Yes, because Pierre Laporte is a technician and, at this point in time, you need one at the head of Finance. But I know that the real reason Mr Laporte was kicked out was because he was trying to fight corruption.
Pierre Laporte was also implementing the IMF reforms which have brought on some of the economic problems you’re complaining about. Do you agree with these reforms or not?
The problem is not the reforms of the IMF; the problem lies with the fact that we have a government which is not ready to go all the way. When you say you’re opening the country to business, for goodness sake, open it up for business. Stop saying Paul will be able to do business but not Mary because she doesn’t support the right colour. There are many instances where government itself is the obstacle to the reforms. If you’re fighting corruption, then everybody should be treated the same way but we have a government that proclaims that we have the rule of law but unfortunately, it doesn’t happy to everyone.

Let’s talk about the opposition. Is it true to say that the opposition in general is fragmented? For instance, is the SNP still in alliance with the SUP?
When the SUP had its convention for the change of name and new constitution, an interim executive committee was elected but it has to go through the process of ratifying it. So we said to them, “once you’ve organized yourselves, then we can talk”. As far as unity in the opposition is concerned, we are in a rather delicate position, We’ve got the SNP which is a well-organised party, we’ve got Christopher Gill with the Seychelles Freedom Party which is basically a one-man show and then we’ve got the SUP, which has an interim leadership. Of course, there’s the PDM which is not in the opposition So now, as far as political parties are concerned, we find ourselves alone while the others are sorting themselves out.

You spoke earlier of Bernard Georges going to the State House to make a speech on the occasion of the launch of President Michel’s book. Would you say that people in the opposition have been tempted by James Michel’s call for National Unity?
The call for national unity/national reconciliation has come from the opposition. Whereas the opposition wants to see national reconciliation because we want to move forward, this is unfortunately not what the ruling party wants. Take for instance last year, it decided to adopt June 29 as National Day. We’ve been calling for this since the return of the multi-party system in 1993. So they do it, which is a wonderful move. But what does Mr Michel do? He removes Zonm Lib from where it was and instead of getting rid of it altogether, he move it 50 metres down the road. So can we say there is sincerity and seriousness? No, there’s neither. There are so many other things that we need to touch on, such as all the names of the roads which are still linked to the coup d’état. If you are serious and you want the country to move forward, there are concrete things that you can do.

Is this because there is no consensus about national unity issue within the party? There appears to be a current that wants to go forward with James Michel and another that wants to go back to what Albert René represented?
This is something that you hear all the time and it is true and I know there are some staunch supporters who view Michel with circumspection. They say René did not sell land to the Arabs, he kept land for Seychellois, they criticize the IMF programme and say that René would never have done that because he would have put his people first, etc.

But you do agree, don’t you that René’s model is unworkable nowadays?
Exactly and this country has to move forward except that the problem is that James Michel is not fully committed to the reforms. If it were different, then the country would have been in a different position.

To what extent do you think the fact that James Mancham’s support of James Michel helps the President?
I don’t think it does. Mr Mancham is not a very important factor in Seychelles’ politics today. He’s the past and when he comes close to the very people who overthrew him, he’s seen as a traitor. If things had been different and positive changes had come about on the political field because of what Mancham was doing, it would have been possibly good.

You said earlier that people say that René would not have given the land to foreigners and that Michel is doing so. But don’t you agree that Seychelles needs those countries’ goodwill whether it’s the Arabs or somebody else? Doesn’t Seychelles need people to inject money in the country?
Of course we do. But instead of giving them all the precious land that will eventually only serve to destroy our patrimony, can’t we do it differently? Do we have to sell land? Can a Seychelleois buy land in United Arab Emirates? What not do it in a way that benefits Seychellois, whatever decision the government is taking?
The SNP’s objection to “selling land to the Arabs” is usually accompanied by a criticism of foreign workers in Seychelles. Yet, wouldn’t you agree that Seychelles is in need of those same foreign workers you’re criticizing?
We don’t have a problem with foreign workers; we have a problem with the system. My problem with the system is that it has failed to produce qualified men and women to take charge of this country and this is why we need foreigners. The SNP does not have problems with individuals but with the system.

https://www.facebook.com/todayinsey/pos ... 44831991:0
Grandlarousse

Postby Grandlarousse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Comment - We have written time and time again to the Vatican and the Church of England Head in England beside others that SIROP program came about/involved a great deal of Faith and Prayer. (There are burning issues on this topic we have preferred not to ad on that website instead on our Blog - regarding Faith across the board in evolution and that SIROP program) Across the world very many have been praying for Sechelles Seychelles these past 26 years - what has happened to their prayers. That SIROP program made it possible for several church to be renovated and rebuild. We have addressed the issue of our visit to Vienna, Strasbourg and elsewhere and our prayers, the mega election upset at the Francophone and outcome. In Sri Lanka the president was confident of winning and the outcome. In Mauritius events the election and events unfolding. The prayers we have been saying and others helping have impacted other issues - it is very very strange for a priest - not to acknowledge this. That SIROP program has seen the downfall of many leading church officials and very prominent one at that. When you have priests and men of God with all their Training and experience denying the hand and work of God - do not wonder of the outcome and then those who will label this the work of Terrorist - my best advice get your ladder, or you super plane and your armies go up to heaven and charge God with Terrorist Act when he send down/pour down his divine punishment. <If you keep refusing to listen> This issues is a very old one going back to the days of Lady Thatcher and PM John Major and Blair - the Sechelles Seychelles is predominantly Christian - the first families who sailed from France/ Mauritius/Reunion/Madagascar - then transport methods, those who gave/lost their life/many and history record - the Sun, the Sea, the Wind and the Sail - "with a Bible under their arm and the Cross" until they landed safely - "those who brag about the great Illuminati science/discipline this is a science and discipline. " How they build their first shelter and shack on St Anne and from there, on to the first Settlement - they believed and so they set the Foundation for us and our children today and future. We addressed an article /link of then Colin Powell in Germany then 1985/6 at the foot of the about us SIROP website - the Australian Catholic Dioceses - shortly after Mr Gerard Hoareau had been assassinated and the state of mind/being of our exile/refugee workings - we want to see one pig of a Seychellois exile who will dare come forward and say they did not pray as they had never prayed before or requested for prayers - "yes they hit the bottle - to ease the pain and hurt" - the church and priests were witnessed to what took place . All our children born in exile, they were conceived with the divinity present and belief. As such they were born and went to school and in their Home the respective belief. Because of that/ the decision when forced upon us to use military force to change Seychelles then 1986 - the faith required if one believed that a God exist and he will come through/meaning the process - from a high political, economic and terrible situation prospective. We opted for that SIROP program because we believed, not my person - as entities in/our exile/refugees compared to the many exile/refugee movement in Britain and Europe then. A would be General/Colonel who would take charge or command of such a project may/will not understand it and the faith issues - it is up to the people to make him and his technicians, experts, government, high Officials and many others understand. - Which we did. This issue go all the way to the White House, the UN and many other leading world Institutions.
Grandlarousse

Postby Grandlarousse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:24 am

Letter to the Editor - ‘We all want peace for our motherland’

11-February-2015
I refer to the letter in your paper written by Mr James Mancham printed in your edition of Tuesday February 10, 2015. This was in response to an interview that I gave to TODAY in Seychelles, printed on Monday February 9, 2015.

Without wanting to go into a political ping-pong match with Mr Mancham, I somehow feel that I have to correct some factual mistakes he made in his letter while explaining certain issues for your readers to get a clearer picture of the whole situation.
The words in the interview that annoyed Mr Mancham were the following:

“TODAY in Seychelles: To what extent do you think the fact that Mr James Mancham’s support of James Michel helps the President?
Ramkalawan: I don’t think it does. Mr Mancham is not a very important factor in Seychelles’ politics today. He’s the past and when he comes close to the very people who overthrew him, he’s seen as a traitor. If things had been different and positive changes had come about on the political field because of what Mancham was doing, it would have been possibly good.”

Mr Mancham’s reply clearly confirms the point I was making. I was talking about politics in Seychelles TODAY. His letter is about the PAST. The truth is that he does not feature in the political debates and the Seychellois have stopped talking about him as being a determining factor in deciding for whom they will vote. Whether he is close to Mr Michel or not, no longer matters for the Seychellois workers who are struggling to make ends meet. Of course the truth hurts and probably this is why I ended up being bombarded with so many insults to the extent of asking me to become the new St. Francis of Assissi!

His letter proves the point because it only talks about the past. And this is exactly what I pointed out. That he was part of the past.

However, Mr Mancham, in trying to vent out his anger, probably as the statesman he wants to portray himself, made some factual mistakes.

1. He calls the first political grouping I headed ‘United Opposition’. I was never the leader of the United Opposition. It was Mrs Annette Georges who was the leader of that party, which brought under its wings, Parti Seselwa, National Alliance Party and Seychelles National Movement. The presidential candidate of the United Opposition at the first presidential election in 1993 was Mr Philippe Boullé

2. Mr Mancham forgets to mention that in the last presidential election that Mr René was candidate, he refused to join the other opposition forces, but instead insulted us by making his famous declaration of ‘Sorti lo lili pou tonm dan bake’! This was in return for him to get back the properties the government had acquired under René.

3. He mentions the fact that he joined with us and we nearly won the elections in 2006. This is true, but what he fails to tell your readers is that at midday on election day, he boarded Kenya Airways and left the country without informing us. The SBC covered his departure which was given prominence in the afternoon news and caused many people to vote for the ruling party in fear of violent repercussions should the SNP win. He caused us to lose the election by acting that way. He was the one who broke off that relationship. His presence was never a threat to my leadership because I had already defeated him in the presidential election of 1998. I guess by stating this he was merely giving himself importance, something he does very well!

4. Mr Mancham states that he initiated a ‘Seychelles First Movement’, and that I attended the first meeting at Eden Island, but refused to attend the second one. It is obvious that he is now lost even in his past. For his information, I NEVER attended any of his ‘Seychelles First’ meetings and secondly Eden Island was not even in existence then. Was the meeting held under the casuarina trees Mr. Mancham?

5. He then goes on to give a list of people, who according to him have left the SNP. Is this really the statesmanship Mr Mancham talks about and wants us to believe in? Politicians move from one party to another. I could easily ask him what happened to most people who were close to him when he was president, Mr Moulinié, Mr D’Offay, Mr Mondon, Mr Joubert, Mr Uzice, etc… Did they not leave his party for some reason. I could also ask the same question of many people who were in the SPUP/SPPF/PL as well. I don’t see why someone who wants us to see him as such a great statesman would even mention that.
6. He states that I should refuse the monetary benefits that I am receiving. I think this is too low to answer.

Editor, in his concluding paragraphs, Mr Mancham destroys all the arguments he presented in his letter by stating the following: “ Finally, I believe it is opportune for me to avail of this opportunity to once again emphasise that I have now for several years moved away from partisan politics to play the role of a statesman both locally and internationally.” Was this not what I stated in my answer?

As far as declaring that “I had the opportunity to get to know him better and to realise that he had the potential of becoming a dictator, three times more ruthless than those we have known”, I can only say to Mr Mancham that I wish he had developed his sense of clairvoyance back in 1977, because he would have known that he was about to be overthrown and betrayed by Mr René with that kiss at the airport. I can also add and say to him that when he shakes my hands, there is no blood on them, whereas the ones who are his closest friends today have the blood of the Seychellois on them. That’s the very same blood Archbishop Emeritus French Chang-Him keeps talking about and saying ‘too much blood have flowed in Seychelles soil’.
We all want a better Seychelles. We all want peace for our motherland.
Thank you for publishing my letter

Wavel Ramkalawan

Seychelles Nation
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=244470
Grandlarousse

Next

Return to Indian Ocean problematic issues